Monday, January 16, 2012

Kalana's Newton Scooter


Newton's first law states an object in motion will stay in motion and an object at rest will stay at rest unless an unbalanced force acts on it. My car would be staying at rest (not moving) until, an unbalanced force (the balloon- full of air) acts on it. Then, I let go of my balloon (which is attached to my car) , and my car would go speeding straight. If it wasn't for the balloon, then my car wouldn't have ever moved. Newton's third law states that every action has an equal and opposite reaction. By letting go of the balloon (an action), my car (the balloon is also attached to my car) would go in the opposite way that the air pressure was released from. In this project, I had many challenges. First of all, I tried 3 different types of car models, but the first and second wouldn't move. I thought it was because of the wheels, but when i manually pushed each car, there was no problem. I experimented with different types of wheels, and each one worked perfectly, but the car still wouldn't move! On my last car, I knew the problem wasn't caused by the wheels, so I used two balloons, attached with straws, to the car. It still would not move. Finally, I almost gave up, when I detached the straw from the balloon, blowed up the balloon, put it in a square of the strawberry carton, and let go of my car. It moved! I realized that when I used a straw attached to the balloon, the straw was very narrow, and barely released any air quickly. Without the straw, the balloon's air pressure is released without anything from slowing it down. The only thing I would still like to fix is probably the placement of the wheels. They move perfectly, it's just that they're not really evenly placed (because of my terrible hot glue skills :)). My favorite part of my scooter is the balloon! (Because balloon's are fun, and that's what makes my whole Newton car move) By: Kalana Pungmuang

No comments:

Post a Comment