Thursday, February 2, 2012

Ainsley's Newton Scooter


For my Newton Scooter, Newton’s laws relate to it in several ways. Law number 1 (inertia) relates to my scooter because it would not move unless the rubber band was wound correctly. It also would not stop until it was slowed down by friction. Law number 2 (F=m*a) related to my car because the tighter the band was wound, the more acceleration it had, which meant it had more force, and therefore went faster and further. Law number 3 (every action has an equal and opposite reaction) relates to my scooter because the fast unraveling of the rubber-band caused the wheels to move, which then caused the scooter to move. While building my newton scooter, I faced many challenges. First of all, it was hard to find the right number if correctly sized wheels. I needed 4 equally sized wheels but because there were so many girls who needed the same thing it was hard to find them. In the end, I found some but it was hard to attach them to my car. I used a straw as the axel so the hot glue just went through the hole, and wouldn’t attach. I would still like to fix my car and make it more smooth, so there are not popsicle sticks and glue wads everywhere. My favorite part of my scooter was the rubber-band, because it took me a while how to figure out how to work it and I was very proud of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment